Growing up as a kid, I lived for food. You name it; I ate it – regardless of its nutritional value. But in 2008, my whole focus changed. At 22, my mother and father were both diagnosed with cancer within 3 months of each other. I felt vulnerable and powerless, and knew it was time to take control of my own health and try to help the ones I love.
Inspired by the loss of my father last year, I’ve realized that the future isn’t written, and that we do have the ability to make positive lifestyle changes…starting with the food we eat.
Darrow’s Farm Fresh aims to provide New Yorkers with better alternatives. By partnering with our in-house nutritionist Julie Starr and co-chefs David Kupperberg (Pure Food & Wine) and Taylor Thorne (Eleven Madison Park, Jean Georges), we have created nutrient-rich, high-quality recipes using local and organic ingredients (dependent on season). We think food should be simple, nutritious, and more importantly delicious.
We are passionate about food and helping others; at Darrow’s, we never preach or tell you how you ought to live your life. Rather, we simply want to show what options you have. By doing the hard work for you, we have provided our diners with the ability to choose balanced meals and sustain energy throughout the day. We have made it easier for you to stay on track of your own healthy lifestyle; we’ve even gone one step further by giving you a platform of nutritional resources to call upon as needed, such as a weekly wellness blog and interactive social media.
I hope I will get the pleasure of serving you in my restaurant soon.
We don’t believe in labels. “Vegan”, “Vegetarian”, “Raw”, “Macrobiotic”, yes, these are all real dietary guides. But unfortunately, these terms are used as another form of diner categorization. Our emphasis is rather on clean, natural, unprocessed, sustainable, and local food. Each person has a different motivation for choosing what he or she puts into their body, and shouldn’t require justification for every lift of a fork. Furthermore, we believe that every person is entitled to the best quality ingredients possible. It is for this reason that we don’t fry our foods, use substitute proteins or add artificial flavoring, and we use only healthy vegetable oils and fats to cook our meals. We hear many misconceptions about “healthy” food, such as it doesn’t “taste good” or it “won’t fill me up”. We are here to challenge those notions and hopefully provide you solutions in turn. Ultimately, if the food doesn’t taste delicious, and the service isn’t top-notch, nothing else matters.
We look forward to serving you and delivering an unparalleled culinary experience.
1) Honesty – We are committed to being truthful, as knowing your food source is just as important as the nutritional benefits it holds. We will always be straightforward in explaining to you what goes into our food.
2) Trust – We want a meaningful relationship with our customers. Our team genuinely cares for your health and well-being, and that all starts with the meals we create and customer service we provide.
3) Transparency – No artificial ingredients or secret fake flavoring goes into our food. We will tell you everything that goes into our preparation and cooking methods.
4) Quality – We strive to work with local purveyors of the highest standards in quality and sustainability. We want to preserve the nutritional integrity of the food for your body’s enjoyment (and the planet).
5) Service – The customer is always right. Period, end of story. We are devoted to delivering the highest-quality dining experience possible. If something isn’t right, let our staff know immediately and we will make it right.
6) Authenticity – We are motivated by food’s integrity and nothing else. Our goal is to change people’s lives for the better…one meal at a time.
Born and raised in New York City, Peter graduated from the University of Miami with a B.A. in psychology, focusing on the importance of health and nutrition. He began his career in public relations and marketing, working at Edelman and Saatchi & Saatchi Wellness before pursuing his MBA in entrepreneurship at Babson College. Moved by his father’s death, Peter founded “Darrow’s. Farm Fresh Takeout.” When he is not working with his team to provide New Yorkers with better alternatives, you can find him playing baseball or competing in chess..
With over a decade of nutrition experience, our in-house nutrition specialist Julie Starr has worked with a diverse group of healthcare practitioners to create tailored nutrition programs for individuals of every walk of life. After receiving her master’s in nutrition from Boston University, the certified nutritionist established her own consulting practice to help clients develop a positive relationship with food. In her tenure as a consultant, Julie has implemented nutrition programs for Exhale Spa and community health centers and has lead wellness initiatives for corporations such as Bracebridge Capital. Julie has continued her commitment to providing nutrition and wellness education by partnering with Darrow’s Farm Fresh Takeout to further empower individuals to take their health into their own hands by choosing nutrient-rich, high quality food. Julie is an ambassador for Lululemon, ENERGYbits, Vega protein powder and Via Prive activewear. Out of the office, you can find the self-proclaimed “foodie” frolicking around town with her spirited five year old.
Monday – Sunday 11:00 AM – 10:30 PM